Friday, January 25, 2008

Day 12 - Mystery revealed!


The aforementioned "mystery melon" is no longer a mystery. I paid close attention today when I went shopping and found out that it is called "Piel de Sapo" melon. This translates to "toad skin" melon. :) It's very yummy and yeilds over 1L of juice if you juice an entire melon.

Piel de Sapo (family Cucurbitaceae, Cucumis melo, Inodorus group) is a type of of melon widely available in the Northern Hemisphere, with a green blotched skin after which it is named. (Piel De Sapo translates as "toad skin"). Piel de Sapo originated in Spain where is widely grown (about 30.000 hectares are grown every year).

- Wikipedia

I bought TONS of groceries today. I just wish there was more variety in the organic produce available right now; I would especially like to find organic grapes. I haven't seen any since November :(

Today I had:

1L Water+msm+lemon
1L Celery/black kale/green kale/parsley+kelp
750ml Electrolyte drink: young coconut water/lemon/agave nectar/Himalayan salt
(I was really excited about this electrolyte drink.. but it tasted gross lol)
1L Cantaloupe juice
125ml wheatgrass juice
500ml apple juice
1tbsp coconut oil

I don't want to jinx anything, but no stomach pains today either. I tried to do a wheatgrass implant but failed miserably. I think I'll wait for the right equipment to get here before I try that again. I ordered an open bag version, it should get here soon :)

I'm thinking more and more that I may in fact go 'raw' after this juice feast. I'm not entirely convinced because I do have a lot of attachment to several vegan cooked foods... maybe a balance of raw and vegan will be key for me... That being said, there are key ingredients that will never enter this body again; tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, paprika (nightshade family), refined cane sugar, white flour, aspartame, caffeinated coffee and hard alcohol. Also, I'll stay away from highly refined vegan foods; soy meats, soy cream cheese, things like that. We'll see; I did say I wouldn't decide anything until day 92. :P

- Ben

3 comments:

Neeta said...

Hey Ben, Love the new look of your blog :-)

Happy Piel de Sapo Juicing weekend,

x Neeta

Indie said...

I love the Piel de Sapo, too! :oD Tesco's don't always have the überyummy and alkalising watermelon, but they seem to always have this variety. It's nice and sweet, but not quite as sweet as cantaloupe, which was my favourite pre-feast. My tastebuds definitely are a-changing! :oD

Lots of love from Neens
http://powerofraw.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hi all. I realised i can juice the rind of the red watermelon a few weeks back which is great but can anyone say if its OK to juice the rind of the Piel De Sapo melon ?

Winst