Friday, April 18, 2008

Day 96 - More fruit.... (and some cheating!)

Today was another fruity fruity day... except for the bag of dulse I broke into later in the day.... I rationalized that the 12 hour difference from end of fruit day to beginning of salad day was negligible so I should be able to pull this off. I must be the first person in the world who feels bad about "cheating" on his diet with DULSE! Dear lord... it's so good for you! :P It's funny how I managed to stay on the straight and narrow and not cheat on the juice feast at all and somehow I couldn't wait 12 hours for a bag of dulse. LOL! Oh well... we all have our weaker moments eh? :)

My body is slowly getting used to the idea of having solids in it again. I'm starting to have regular BMs again and there was significantly less bloating today. My skin is having a major reaction to all this, though. I'm flaking A LOT right now. I'd be tempted to freak out right about now and run back to juicing but I have a feeling this is completely normal given the circumstances. I know that once I start eating salads again and tons of other yummy alkaline foods, this should get better.

I actually saw my chiropractor on day 94 and forgot to report this. It was actually time for my quarterly evaluation. My neck and back have had no pain in the last 2 months which is awesome! Whenever my chiro would adjust me during the juice feast, she would always comment on how fasting had made me much more malleable and receptive to the changes she was making through chiropractic adjustments. My evaluation went really well except when she went down each vertebrae to see if any subluxations were affecting my spine... she found TONS of them. Now.... when I first started going to the chiropractor.... I think I had 7 spots that weren't subluxated out of 56. Can you say majorly fucked up? Back in December, this reversed... so out of 56 spots. only 7 were subluxated. Major improvement!!

This number has now risen which is nuts. This means my spine has suddenly and recently gotten WORSE! My chiro was also surprised and said "you're not normally like this". She had a very simple explanation; through reintroducing solids into my system, I'm creating some chemical changes in my body and most of these changes happen in and will affect my neck area. It's normal apparently for me to feel some neck discomfort over the next little while.

I can only assume that these same chemical changes are affecting the psoriasis. I'm just going to wait it out and see what happens. There are a few "battle elements" I am going to introduce once we reach the end of the feast breaking period.

Anyway. Today was fun and very low stress; a contrast to what Fridays usually look like in our shop. Typically, the shit always hits the fan on Fridays. I actually got to leave early today and took the opportunity to go buy a very sexy OXO mandolin. *droooool* First of all, everything OXO makes is sexy. Second of all, this mandolin is hot. It even does waffle cuts which is great for bringing waffle slices of beets and carrots to work as a snack. :)

I also bought some pine nuts today... I now have all the ingredients I need to make my top-secret delicious pesto recipe. It's unlike any pesto I've ever had... so yummy! :) I'm saving this one for the cookbook. :) I hope to have some of that on Monday but I'm missing a spiralizer to make zucchini noodles. I need to go to the west end and buy one. I can do that next weekend and get a ride there or I can hop on the bus and get there in an hour and take another hour to get back home. Sigh. We'll see how motivated I feel.

Next weekend, my mom and I are going SHOPPING. We're going to IKEA (few items I need to pick up: a clever for young coconuts, LOTS of glass jars for all the nuts and dried fruits I now have...) and a few health food stores. I'm going to bring her to a vegan/raw restaurant in a hip part of town too! :) I also need to pick up some more tupperwear and some nifty lunch boxes I saw (well more like tupperwear) that have many compartments and a space for ice packs. These would be great for sushi, salads, wraps, sandwiches, etc. :) There's also an organic farmer's market in the south end of town I would love to go check out with her. There's even a company there that sells only RAW foods at really great prices. They sell sesame seeds for dirt cheap!! :)

Today I had:

7:00AM
1 cascara sagrada cap
1.25L water+msm+lemon
250ml soak water
260gr prunes!
250ml grape/blood orange/strawberry/acai
1 intestinal movement cap
2 probiotic caps

10:00 AM
1.25L celery/kale/cilantro+kelp+E3live+Hsalt
2 Enzymes caps

12:00 PM
2 cups of watermelon

1PM
half a mango
1/2 cup strawberries
half a cucumber

4PM
1.25L grape/blood orange/strawberry/acai

7PM
2 cups of strawberries
half a small watermelon
half a cucumber

9PM
Totally cheated!! EEP! :P I had 80gr of fresh tender tasty salty dulse! Mmmmm!!! :)
2 Enzymes caps

Tomorrow's salad day! Thank god! :) I can't wait to have me some sauerkraut! :)

- Ben

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Everything OXO makes is Sexy, I agree.

Just use a vegetable peeler to make zucchini noodles. I have a spiralizer and I prefer the texture of veggie peeler noodles so much over the spiralizer ones. The peeler is much easier to clean too :)

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

That's weird about your spine. I'm so totally jealous over salad day. I want one!!! Enjoy it double for me!
XO
Pixy Lisa

MiandO said...

Keep the faith, sweety! I am sure it is very normal for your body to go through a bit of a "freak out" adjustment period before things even and balance out. Definitely keeping things alkaline with raw foods should help.
Dulse, cheating, PLEASE!! LOL you are doing FAB!
Enjoy your salad tomorrow! Remember, small plate and fork and CHEW CHEW CHEW ;)
xxkyle