Saturday, February 16, 2008

Day 34 - The teenage years


Today was mega-groceries day again. If it weren't for the fact that the way I buy groceries whilst juice feasting is exceptionally planned out, I would move mega groceries day to another day. I'll have to explore that option.

Saturday mornings at 8am, my mom or dad picks me up with their car so I can venture out for mega groceries. I don't have a car... so it would have practically impossible to do a week's worth of groceries on the bus. When my dad comes, it's awesome. My dad is the calm and relaxed one. When my mom comes.... Well today was a 'mom' day and it didn't go so well. My mom is the most nervous and stressed out person you will ever meet. Driving in the city stressed her out... on a Saturday. She CONSTANTLY second guesses everything I do (or in this case, purchase). She CONSTANTLY gives advice on what I "should" do.... She can be frustrating to be around. I know that it stems from a good place, a place of caring... but after working an overnight shift, being sleep-deprived and grumpy... it's aggravating. We got on each other's nerves a lot today. I could feel my skin reacting to her negativity. I've tried, in the past, to explain how her stressful nature stresses me out, and impedes my ability to heal my psoriasis.... She just doesn't get it.

Sigh... it feels good to let that out in the open. Don't get me wrong, I love my mom and I really appreciate the fact that she acted like a taxi for me today but man... take a chill pill! I'm wondering if she was harder to handle today because I'm 15 years old (retracing-wise) right now and am reliving teenage angst/rebellion? ;)

I got home and I took a well deserved nap. I made some REALLY awesome juices AND I did lots of yoga to some episodes of Namaste I had TIVOed. That show isn't easy to follow... but I think I did good today. I want to try doing those episodes again. I like the flow.... and the challenging asanas that I'm not quite familiar with.

Today I had:

250ml water+slippery elm
1.25L water+msm
1.25L celery/collard greens/parsley
750ml blood orange juice (I think I'll always think of Carrie everytime I see a blood orange from now on! LOL)
750ml Summery juice (see below)
1.00L Grannysmith apple/Spinach
1tbsp Bee pollen+agave
500ml America Saffron tea

Today I also did:

Skin brushing
40 minutes yoga
Napping

Can I just say... for a 'zombie day'... I'm surprised and really proud of myself for getting 4L of juice in... plus all my 'psoriasis superfoods'. :) Yay Ben!

Summery juice

I noticed today that I was missing being innovative and inventive in the kitchen. Suddenly I conjured up this juice. It's very tasty! Tangy yet mellow... :)

1 grapefruit
2 red gala apples
1/4 cantaloupe
1 cup butternut squash (cut into tiny cubes)
2 dates (pitted, finely chopped, soaked for 5 minutes)

Into the vitamix it goes! Strain through nut mylk bag and enjoy! I was going to add a spice but after tasting it, I decided it didn't really need anything. :)

Restez juteux! :)

- Ben

4 comments:

Hanlie said...

I have been very interested in mind/body healing of late and I find it fascinating how your psoriasis reacts to your mother. There's some healing needed in that area, don't you think. And we really can't change the people in our lives (it's their job, not ours), so we have to change our reaction to them... I've gone through similar things with my family, who I love dearly, but who elicited unhealthy responses in me. It took a lot of work from my side, but today I can be with them and not self-destruct afterwards.

I find your journey fascinating! And now I have to go and do my major grocery shop!

Poppy said...

Mmiam, c'a l'air super bon, ce jus! Je vais essayer de le faire moi-meme, merci! Bisous, Poppy

Neeta said...

moi aussi, comme poppy, merci ben!
bisou bisou,
neeta

Carrie Cegelis said...

And Ben, I always think of YOU when I have blood orange juice!!!
I'm going crazy with them because I know they are a fleeting thing. Everytime I go to the food co-op they are a different size, and different color inside, and totally different taste, as well. I am loving the variety.