Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Day 31 - Torticollis and bullying...


Thank you, everyone, for your concern. I'm doing a lot better. Yesterday was so bizarre. It basically hurt to talk, swallow, yawn and burp (especially burp!). I told my manager I wouldn't be talking if that was okay with her so everything was done by email yesterday... or people coming to my desk and me typing into the computer to answer them lol. It was actually oddly soothing to do a 'silent retreat' at work. I should do that more often.

I went to the chiro in the afternoon and immediately felt better. She also confirmed it was muscular and specifically the sternocleidomastoid. She suggested I go for a massage at that point. Luckily my RMT was available that evening. He gave me an awesome massage; whole back, focusing on the upper neck area and shoulderblades (constant problem for me) and then the front part of the neck along with upper and lower chest regions. When he was about to start massaging the front part of my neck, he warned me it wouldn't be pleasant.... He wasn't kidding! It was really painful. But hey, no pain, no gain? He massaged me with black cumin, chamomile and laurel leaf essential oils! Mmmmm... I can still smell it! :) Black cumin is sooo yum! :) After the massage, I was told what I had is basically a form of torticollis.

My theory is: I either screwed up my neck whilst lifting boxes about 30 min before the pain first shot through my neck.... or, like Michelle and Carrie suggested, it could have been psychosomatic. I'm supposed to be around 15/14 years old right now, through the 'retracing' process.

I had the most aweful teenage years... I basically got bullied everyday from ages 9 through 15. I had insomnia and symptoms of PTS as a kid. I can't verbalize the feeling of dread that would overwhelm me as summer vacation came to an end... not knowing what bullies would be in my class that year or not knowing to what extent I would get beaten up or verbally assaulted. I grew up in a small town and being the only obviously gay kid in a school of 300 people, I became an easy target for that sort of thing.

While that's all a distant memory, I still live with a lot of that still. I sometimes expect for people to backstab me or conspire against me. I never had any friends throughout high school and, now as an adult, the feeling of having friends still feels strangely alien to me. When I hear people laughing on the bus, I immediately assume they're laughing at me. I guess that's what 6 years of chronic abuse will do to a person.

There's a positive side to all this; I'm a much more driven person... I left that small town and went to the city where people are much more open and less conservative and I've been independent ever since. I moved out at 16 and made a life for myself. I've been driven to succeed to prove those people wrong.

Anyway... enough about all that... It's just, I was thinking this morning... I couldn't associate this feeling in my throat to any injury I've ever had. The only exception is, it felt like when kids would pin me against the wall with their hands on my throat and try to strangle me. This feeling was very akin to feeling stifled. It's the only thing I can link it to. Maybe writing this all out, verbalizing it through my blog will help release these repressed feelings.

Today I had:

1.25L water+msm+lemon
1.25L celery/red chard/cilantro+E3live+kelp
1.25L apple/red cabbage
750L cantaloupe
500ml coconut water+E3live
1Tbsp bee pollen
(forgot to take my fats again! d'oh!)

Today I did:
Skin brushing
1 chiropractic adjustment
1 hour massage with essential oils

I finally managed to get some Chanca Piedra in tincture form shipped to Canada! I'm a bit late on it, but I figured I'd rather get it in tincture and take it a few days later (supposed to start on day 30) than to get it in capsule form.

I'm desperately trying to order Healthforce products (parasite formula for day 60 and intestinal drawing formula) but am also having the same 'shipping to canada' problem. I'm waiting on an email from a seller on bluejay.com... You'd think Americans don't realize we're right next door to them or something? It boggles my mind why they wouldn't ship to Canada!

Anyway! :)

- Ben

PS: Officially hit the "lost 20lbs" mark today! I was at 150.4lbs and I was super pissed because I've been waiting to hit 149 for days now.... so I went to pee, came back and I was at 150.0! LOL!

7 comments:

Poppy said...

Ooops..Glad to hear you are doing better, Ben! Just enjoying your openness and love, as always. Love, Poppy

Carrie Cegelis said...

Hey Ben,
Loving your posts, as usual. Thanks for sharing your process - nice job working through it, and taking care of yourself as needed to do so!
I would so love to come to your dinner party post-feast. Not sure if I can make it to Ottawa just yet, but someday for sure! You are of course welcome at our table any time you are in NY....we'd even have a party in your honor.
Much love, JB!

B said...

Though I can't say my coming out, coming of age was as traumatic as yours sounds to be, I can certainly sympathize. I felt alone in the world at a very young age. The way I see it is that you have experienced some of the worst sides of people--gotten that out of the way, I hope. And now you have so much to build on. Where do you think you get the strength to do what you are doing right now than from these experiences? This is how we are sometimes driven.

Congratulations on 31 days. I have really appreciated your frankness and openness as you share your journey. So thank you.

BTW, Philip has shared his genius about emotions and dealing with them on WLIR today. You should watch..

xx Raw B

Neeta said...

Good to know you are feeling better Ben, and thank you too for sharing so openly and sincerely.....
I have deep respect and admiration for you, and your posts each day are very inspiring....
Love,
xxx Neeta

Heidi and JS said...

YAY!!!

So happy to know that you are feeling better!!

Massage has to be one of the greatest things in the world!

Happy Valentine's Day Ben!
~ Heidi

Michelle said...

Ben, I am so glad you are feeling better. Thank you for sharing your story. I hope it has given you some clarity. I wanted to let you know that The Journey has a pretty decent sized community in Canada and there are people on the practitioner program that need to do Journey sessions for free to get their case studies. Basically, The Journey helps clear out past traumatic experiences on the cellular level. It is pretty interesting stuff. Here are a couple of videos you can watch about it and if you are interested, I could try to hook you up with a practitioner in training in your area. Let me know.

mmmichelle2006 (at) yahoo (dot) com

http://tinyurl.com/2o6zoh
http://tinyurl.com/3d7gwk

Anonymous said...

i have the same thing man... In a month i go for my second botox infiltration, i hope it will go a little bit better because it sucks. The massage with the essential oils interests mee. I use lavendel en also chamomile but black cumin and laurel leaf, dont know... im from blgium so ill try to translate and find those oils.

i wish you happy feelings and no stress, thats themost imoortant thing.
Jan

vliegend_voorwerp@hotmail.com