Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Day 58 – Who are you?

Yesterday was SO MUCH FUN. I mean, I went to work and that was uneventful… but after work I went to the health food store. I did that thing again where I looked at ALL the foods with a lot of fascination. I mostly craved raw-nola, sauerkraut, wasabi peas (I guess those aren’t raw eh?) and cashews. But yea, I think I’m going to buy that pickling jar from Matt’s site because I’d really like to make my own sauerkraut but the traditional method kind of scares me. I ran into my vegan friend Jill there! She’s on her way to Japan soon! Yay Jill! We talked about juice feasting and she told me how proud she was of me! So sweet! Unbeknownst to be, Jill has been following my blog! HI JILL !! !:)

This brings me to today’s title; I’ve been getting a lot of comments on giveittomeraw and globaljuicefeast from people who have been following my blog for some time but don’t comment. That’s perfectly fine but I’m a very inquisitive person so I’d like to take this opportunity to ask those who read this blog but don’t comment to just say a quick hello and tell me where they’re from and anything else they’d like to say or ask. I’m curious to see who’s out there reading my (sometimes) ineloquent ramblings.

What did I end up buying at the health food store, you ask? PRUNES! No no! Just kisdding! I’m not buying prunes until day 92! I don’t want to be tempted by them. I bought some really awesome soap by Giovanni (hazelnut/vanilla), some hair conditioner (also Giovanni), some honey, raw cold-pressed coconut oil, cilantro, spinach,, cat’s claw tea, MSM, dishwashing liquid (Ecover) and… I think that’s it. Oh! Alfalfa seeds for sprouting!

Afterwards I went to meet up with Vanessa, a University student that is doing her Master’s thesis on the topic of vegetarianism and social activism. It was really neat to do this. It was an hour interview (with lots of intermittent chatting) about my reasons and experiences as a vegan. It was amazing to do this at this point in my juice feast. I really feel like juice feasting is a life-changing event but it’s also a cusp; that is to say, the transition from vegan to raw-vegan for me. I went vegan 8 years ago when there weren’t many cookbooks and ready-made foods for vegans. Now it’s SO EASY to be vegan. I’m planning on transitioning to raw and that’s a bit daunting because I know I have to start all over again. I have to relearn how to be a superstar in the kitchen. I have to deal with the fact that raw products aren’t so prevalent. The raw movement right now is where the vegan movement was 8 years ago when I first went vegan. I’m back to ground zero and it’s going to be interesting. Self reliance and innovation are going to be keys to this being a success though. Lots of cookbooks, lots of help from raw friends online and lots of experimenting in the kitchen. I can deal with that! :) Anyway… it was nice to do this ‘retrospective’ of my experiences as a vegan at this pivotal moment in my vegan journey.

Today I had:

1.25L water+msm+lemon
500 ml water+chanca piedra
1.25 celery/kale/parsley+kelp+Himalayan salt+E3live+Spirulina
500 ml water+chanca piedra
1.25L Pineapple/Blood orange/Blackberry (yum!)
1.25L Grapefruit/Orange/Carrot/Ginger/Cantaloupe (kinda gross, to be honest!)
1L Coconut water
500ml Mint tea
1Tbsp coconut oil
1Tbsp Hemp oil+lemon juice (shot glass style)
1Tbsp bee pollen+agave nectar
2Tbsp honey
Enzymes

Today I also did:

Skin brushing
20 minutes on the rebounder
Acupeds
Parasite zapper (all day)

Previous night’s sleep: 9:15PM to 5:30AM. Mmmm!
TV rule: Still have not turned on the TV since Sunday!

That’s all for me right now… remember… click that comment button and say hello! Especially if you’ve never commented before and follow my blog!

- Ben

PS: Check out David’s video on the Hero’s journey today. It makes a lot more sense to me now, at day 58 than it did when I first read about it, in my first days of juice feasting. Poweful stuff. I’m trying to figure out a way right now that would allow me to go down to the Hippocrates Institute to be trained as a Health Educator within the next 2 years. I’m going to have to do some SERIOUS budgeting. I also am thinking of going to the Living Light Raw culinary arts school. We’ll see what happens. :)

10 comments:

Heather said...

Hi Ben. I've been reading for a few weeks. I think I actually did leave one comment awhile ago. I live in Baltimore, MD, USA. I love your blog -- very inspiring and fun.

Anonymous said...

hi ben! i've only been reading for a few days but i enjoy your blog a lot and thought i'd respond to the request that we lurkers come out of the woodwork. cheers!
~eleaire :)

Carrie Cegelis said...

Hi Ben,
I'm tagging you....meaning you are officially invited to share 5 previously unrevealed facts about yourself, at your discretion, of course, and choose 3 others to curse with this gift of love!
xx

David and Katrina Rainoshek said...

Hi Ben,

You know who we are! We have just added your blog to our list on JuiceFeasting.com and we would love you to check it out, and perhaps send us a different blurb about yourself to put on there?!!

Let us know at nutrientdense@gmail.com

Love to you,

David and Katrina

Anonymous said...

Hey Ben,
Leanne here, you know me! For anyone else, Ben and I worked together here in Ottawa, and this blog is my way of getting a little fix of Ben everyday. For those who don't know Ben personally, he's a great guy, tons of fun, and outspoken in a way I've never seen before. I am always in awe when I find out what he's done and been doing. Keep it up Ben!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ben!

I guess I am definitely a lurker. I have been reading your blog for about a month. I am 21, and live in Boston, Massachusetts. I have been a vegan for a year, and I have always been fascinated by raw foods and juicing.. I'm a bit of a health nut, and anyone who knows me would say that I live in health food stores.

I'd like to juice feast some day, and I love reading your blog. I love the content and the way you write.

Take care!!

Pippa * Jeanne said...

Hi Ben, from a new reader in South Africa who has commented once recently. Your journey is inspiring!

Love,
Pippa

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben , I am also from South Africa but I live in Oxford UK, I am vegan and trying to become raw and get rid of some weight, juicing sounds so wonderful but I am afraid of feeling ill on detox. I have moved to eating alot more fruit and about 10 prunes each day and this seems to be working but very slowly. i find i relate more to men that are going raw or vegan as I like the no fuss attitude,
keep going you are doing so well and remember to mop up the drool trails at the health store.

Angela

NifteThrifte said...

Hi Ben! You know we all have some serous love for you :o)

Anonymous said...

hey ben,
im from michigan. i love your blog, it rocks.