Thursday, March 13, 2008

Day 60 - A time to reflect....

Photo by Duane Michals

It's day 60 and I think this is a milestone in juice feasting terms. I'm 2/3rds of the way there and those prunes are so close, I can taste them... well I could... if I ever had eaten prunes in my life before this! hahaha. I have no idea what awaits; never had a prune in my life.

This post is huge; here's what's on the agenda for today:

  • Today's events
  • Plans for the remaining 32 days
  • In retrospect
  • Update on the psoriasis (notice I say "the" instead of "my")
  • Another juice feaster's award
Today - Day 60

Today was pretty uneventful other than doing mega groceries. I decided not to buy any young coconuts this week and buy 7 watermelons instead. My usual weekday coconut water will be swapped for watermelon juice. I was pretty tired after groceries so I'm afraid this accounts for the lateness of this post along with the uninspiring juices I had today. I bought some great ingredients to make myself a "congratulations juice" for tomorrow.

Today I had:

1.25L water+msm+lemon
1.25L celery/red chard/cilantro+E3live+kelp+Himalayan salt
1.25L Pineapple/blood orange
1.25L Watermelon
1L Coconut water
1L Grannysmith apple/Spinach/Alfalfa sprouts+E3live+Spirulina+Himalayan salt
1Tbsp bee pollen+Agave
1Tbsp coconut oil+honey
1Tbsp hempseed oil+lemon (shot style!)
2Tbsp honey
(totally forgot about the chanca piedra!)

Today I also did:

10 minutes on the rebounder
Skin brushing

Sleep: 10PM to 5:30am (oops!)
TV: Still no TV since Sunday... I'm doing great with this! Thank Buddha for TIVO!

Changes from this point forward

This is just one of the changes I want to do for the rest of juice feasting. Here is a list of ideas I'm entertaining:
  • More watermelon juice, less coconut water
  • Increased intake of MSM (right now my daily intake is 20ml of MSM per 1.25L of water. I want to double this amount to 40ml of MSM for the same quantity of water
  • Visit an infrared sauna 2 or 3 times during the next 32 days
  • Do more frequent enemas
  • Apply more topical treatments to speed up the healing of the remaining psoriasis
  • Continue using acupeds for the remaining 32 days
  • Continue taking my oils (I've been doing so good with this!!!)
You're probably wondering how come I haven't mentioned taking the parasite pills yet eh? Well it seems they may be stuck at the border. I ordered them 3 weeks ago to make sure this wouldn't happen. There's no tracking number on the package so it's possible the package is also lost.... which would suck big time! I also had some intestinal drawing and intestinal movement formula in there. I should get it next week.... I hope! :)

In retrospect

It's day 60 and this is so monumental for me. There were days I wasn't entirely sure that I would actually make it this far. Juice feasting can seem, at times, like mount everest. A very tall mountain that is impossible to conquer. That feeling can be overwhelming. All I can say is think of what David says all the time: everyone juice feasts for one day: today. Just focus on today, forget about how many days you have left. This wisdom has kept me sane on many occasions.

I know there's a lot of juice feasters out there right now who are about to hit day 15! That's a milestone too! Feel happy and celebrate; make yourself a really amazing juice. Forget about the cost (I've made a 1L of juice once that cost 23$!)... just do something nice for yourself to celebrate this milestone and keep doing that for each milestone you hit... or on days when you feel really down and juice feasting feels like a challenge... I promise you, being creative in the kitchen with your juice and incorporating things like pomegranates, strawberries, blackberries, grapes, etc will make you feel so good... and the juice will taste amazing too! :)

I'm going to save a lot of this retrospect for day 92 but I just want to pat myself on the back here because for the past few days I have ALWAYS been taking my oils. I owe a lot of this to Mish because she reminded me how hemp oil (with its special blend of omega3/6) is supposed to be really good for psoriasis. I just was avoiding it because I couldn't stand the stuff... and then felt guilty about not taking it. Well I'm taking it now, everyday... along with coconut oil and I'm also not going to feel guilty if I forget to on a day or two. No big deal. But yea... go me! :)

Update on the P!

For those who are wondering on the status of the psoriasis:

Fully healed:
Scalp (was 100%), forehead (was 50%), neck/chin area (was 10-20%)

Almost done healing:
Legs (odd spots left ... less than 5% - was 50%), thighs (odd spots left, less than 5% - was 50%)

Healing differently:
Chest (no more flaking, reduced thickness, light pink where lesions were and healing slowly... lots of new skin.... about 50% coverage - down from 75%), Back (healing in the same way... less than 5% - down from 20%), arms and forearms (lots of new skin, healing in the same way as the chest area... 25% coverage, down from 75%).

I'm not sure if I'll be fully healed by day 92 but I think the chances are really great that I just might be. If not, I know a well-balanced raw food diet will continue the healing that juice feasting has spearheaded. For anyone suffering from psoriasis, all I can say is juice feasting will jumpstart the healing process in a way you can't imagine. It's important to remember that this condition arises out of a weak and toxic colon. Juice feasting merely cleans out the colon, detoxes the body and rebuilds the colon wall (cures leaky-gut syndrome). You can't just go back to eating french fries after this (and you won't want to). You want to ensure that this condition doesn't reappear by being cognizant of what goes into your colon. I know I'll be taking slippery elm and cat's claw tea everyday after juice feasting to ensure my colon walls stay strong.

I'm saving my before/after pictures for day 92, I'm afraid! :)

Juice Feaster award

She doesn't know this yet but I'm awarding a juice feaster
award to Jessica of RAWtacular. Jessica is RAWtacular indeed! She's done two juice feasts so far and has inspired other people around her to give it a shot too. Also, she's juice feasted through an insane snowstorm on her first juice feast. When the power went out, she brought her supplies and blender to a friend's place and made juice there. I personally, have a lot of respect for people who juice feast while cooking for their families and having to face food in their own homes. I'm sooo lucky to be single (for once) and live alone because the temptation isn't there. When I started juice feasting, I gave all my non-juice foods (almonds, other nuts, tofu, etc) to my family so they could get it out of my sight. Hahaha. Way to go Jessica! I'm sure proud of you!!! :) Please visit her blog and congratulate her on another great juice feast and for staying juicy (with green smoothies) post-feast! :)

Well that's it kiddoes.... I have to get to bed!

- Ben

6 comments:

loulou said...

hey ben, congratulatioins on day 60! *high fives*
and that's great news on your psoriasis - it'll be gone by day 92. way to go :) keep at it, i'm watching your every step! x

NifteThrifte said...

BEEEENNNN! BY GOSH!

I have some serous love for you. YOU, my darling are the greatest ever and I adore you. Thanks for the award! Though I don't really feel like I deserve it totally I still really want it and will keep it forever in my back pocket. You my handsome dearie, are my inspiration. You are fantastic and wonderfully beautifully amazingly extraordinary!
Thank you.

NifteThrifte said...

OH! And I really am excited to see your before and afters!

...you have some, don't you?

Michelle said...

Ben, Ben, Ben,
Congratulations on day 60! You must be so proud of yourself. I am very proud of you! I can't believe you are 2/3 of the way through. You rock!

xoxo

Carrie Cegelis said...

Way to go, Ben! Day 60! You are my hero. It is simply incredible to hear of the amazing recovery of your skin. It is a beautiful thing to witness someone learning to feed themselves with such love and care. May this continue for you long past your JF days! I have a feeling the rest of your time will fly by....enjoy it! There is nothing quite like feasting.....
xx

Penni said...

What a great accomplishment, Ben! You DO deserve big pats on the back for your stick to it-ness and for your ability to inspire so many others in the process. I am totally intrigues with the amount of healing that has taken place with your skin...it is truly miraculous how the body will heal itself if given the correct atmosphere.

Muah!!
Penni